Living in Finland

Based on the selected indicators, the quality of life in Finland is high. Finland ranks highest in happiness, reaching 8.2 on a 10-point scale in 2016 versus an EU average of 7.4. Respondents in Finland also report a very high level of participation in sports or other physical exercise; 79% do sports at least once a week.

People in Finland seem to be very optimistic about both their own future and their children’s or grandchildren’s future.

Once you move to Finland for working, alone or with your family members you will need to start arranging number of things including integration.


Integration means that you settle in Finland and acquire knowledge and skills that you need in Finnish society. Factors that promote integration include

  • learning the language
  • finding a job or student position
  • forming contacts within Finnish society.

In Finland, you can obtain services that facilitate integration, employment and learning the language. Such services include, for example, the initial assessment (alkukartoitus), integration plan (kotoutumissuunnitelma) and integration training (kotoutumiskoulutus). If your family members move to Finland with you, they may also be entitled to these services. It is important that you also actively promote your own integration.


All immigrants are entitled to receive basic information about Finland. Upon receiving a residence permit or registering your right to reside in the country, you are provided with written information concerning

  • Finnish society and working life,
  • your rights and obligations, and
  • services that can assist your integration.

Information services for immigrants
Employment and Economic Development Offices (Työ- ja Elinkeinotoimisto) and municipalities have immigrant advisors. They can help you to integrate into Finnish society. These advisors can provide information on the following, for example:

  • integration and related services
  • working life
  • education and studying.

Initial Assessment
The purpose of the initial assessment is to assess the services you need to support your integration. The initial assessment collects information on your education, work experience and language skills, for example. The initial assessment is conducted at an Employment and Economic Development Office (työ- ja elinkeinotoimisto) or in your municipality. The assessment can also be conducted in another location, such as an educational institute. This depends on how the initial assessment has been organised in your municipality of residence.

You can request the initial assessment from the Employment and Economic Development Office or your local Social Office, for example. Immigrant advisors can provide more information on the initial assessment and how it is organised in your municipality of residence.

Local TE office or municipality will guide you to integration training, if necessary. The training usually includes Finnish or Swedish language studies as well as an introduction to Finnish society, culture and working life. In addition, the training may include other education or practical training.

The TE office, Kela or municipality will determine your right to receive unemployment benefit or income support for the time of your integration plan.

If you have a job, your Employer can sometimes help you in the integration process. The Employer can pay for your Finnish language courses, for example. HResources can help you to take care of various practical things, such as opening bank account, finding proper accommodation at reasonable prices, helping with nursery for small children or school for older ones.
Read more here.